French Horn
A year ago I bought a French horn thinking I'd get back into the band thing. Then I got married, got busy and forgot about playing that French horn. Three days ago I decided it was time to get back to it. Unfortunately, the valves wouldn't move. Oops. Probably should have played it sooner. I no longer own valve oil. Double oops. This blows my mind, because for there was a 12 year period of my life when I probably owned 2-3 valve oils at a time. Where did those go?? So this weekend I went to a music store and got the French horn supplies I needed. Today I worked on the valves and got them moving. Just typing it made it sound easy, but it wasn't easy. I was starting to think I ruined a very expensive instrument and would have to bring it to a repair shop. But, I prevailed and got everything moving again. So, I played for about 15 minutes today. It felt good, but my high range is gone. Well, most notes are shaky but the high notes are almost nonexistant. I pretty much can hit anything above a C only via a scale.
Well, I will try to practice a bit more frequently and maybe in a half a year or so I can join a community band. First though, need to be able to hit notes above C.

2 Comments:
That's exciting! Good to get back into those things you enjoyed that you actually have time for, eh =]
And have you ever considered calling it a "Freedom Horn"?
yeahhhh! i might community band it this summer as well; we'll have to exchange stories.
Post a Comment
<< Home